I don’t eat sweets too often and when I do decide to prepare a dessert I choose only simple, vegan, gluten, dairy and sugar free recipes. Recently, I have tried a delicious and unique dessert. To be honest, I couldn’t believe the result was so great.
Vegan candies with rolled oats and almonds – a versatile dessert
Below you have the ingredients I used and, where was the the case, I also told you with what you could replace them. It all depends on your preference or just on what you have in the house at that moment when you want to prepare this dessert. For example, I chose almonds, but this vegan candies could be done also with pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts. I opted for more honey, but you could put instead raisins or cranberries. I used almost a half of black chocolate (with no sugar or dairy), but you could prepare a “homemade chocolate” with cocoa powder /carob powder and honey.
Moreover, I gave the approximate amounts but these could differ depending on how many vegan candies you want to prepare. Still, you have to know that the final composition has to be sticky and to have a uniform consistency in order to be easily shaped.
Vegan candies with rolled oats and almonds – what ingredients do you need
½ black chocolate or 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder/carob powder + 1 teaspoon coconut milk + 1 teaspoon honey
½ cup of rolled oats (I use from Bauckhoff, a German brand, see in the photo gallery above the picture with it)
1 cup of cooked quinoa (how to prepare: wash quinoa very, very well and when the water boils – 2-3 cups of water – add the quinoa and let it boil for about 15-20 minutes)
several almonds – chopped or whole, as you wish
2-3 teaspoons of honey or stevia extract (depending on how sweet you like desserts)
what else you could use: raisins, cranberry, sour cherry from compote etc.
1. In a small pot melt the black chocolate. If you choose to make the chocolate on your own, put in the pot the cocoa powder, coconut milk and a little bit of honey/stevia extract. Leave till they are like a chocolate sauce.
2. Add this chocolate sauce over the cooked quinoa, mix and add the honey. I used more honey as my black chocolate was not sweet at all.
3. Then, add the chopped almonds and the rolled oats. You don’t have to prepare the rolled oats in any way before. They will moist a little bit from the other ingredients.
4. Mix very well and add more rolled oats if necessary – if the composition is not sticky and so well incorporated.
5. Take a little bit from this composition and shape the small raw candies. Place them on a plate. You can also put a whole almond inside the candy. You can also use some other type of nuts or even sour cherry from compote.
6. When they are cold, place in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes. Even if you are going to be tempted to eat them like that, they are better after they stay in the fridge for a while.
I named them candies because this is the shape I chose. You can shape them into bars or put the composition in a cake form and then to cut in slices. If you have fresh fruits, you can also enjoy it with them, the combination will be perfect.