It’s the season of tomatoes and autumn vegetable, so choose simple yet tasty foods, as it is our tomatoes dish recipe.
This recipe could seem a little bit too simple, but the mix of fresh vegetable and seasonal tomatoes will give it a special flavour. Yet, it is very important to opt for organic, bio tomatoes, juicy and sweet. Besides, as for this dish you will use the whole peeled tomatoes, use only smaller tomatoes.
Cooked tomatoes are healthier than raw tomatoes
At least this is what researchers say after several studies. Tomatoes are a great source of lycopen, a natural compound with a lot of antioxidant properties. The doctors from Cornell University, United States of America, initiated a study and the conclusion showed that cooked tomatoes are higher in lycopen then raw tomatoes. Yet, it seems that cooking tomatoes lowers their amount of vitamin C.
Leaving aside this “cooked vs. raw tomatoes” debate, tomatoes are rich in vitamin C, potassium, fibres, folate, lutein and beta-carotene.
Tomatoes Dish – what ingredients do you need
7-8 smaller tomatoes
½ yellow bell pepper
½ red bell pepper
1. Take the tomatoes, peel them and leave aside in a bowl. If the tomatoes do not peel easily (this happens when the tomatoes are smaller or when they are not so ripe), just put them to boil in a pot with water to cover. When the water boils, turn off the heat and cover for 5 minute. Then, peel the tomatoes and leave aside, in a bowl.
2. In some other pot, add ½ oil (about 5-6 tablespoons) and then add ½ grated carrot, ½ carrot cut into cubes, ¼ onion finely chopped, ½ yellow pepper and ½ red bell pepper cut into cubes.
3. Sauté them a little and then start to add warm water to cook them till tender.
4. After 10-15 minutes, take 2 tomatoes, cut them into small slices and add in the pot with the rest of the vegetables.
5. In the end, add here the whole tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and then parsley finely chopped.
With what wines you should associate tomatoes dishes?
And, as every tasty dish should be associated with the right wine, here are some recommendations regarding tomatoes and wines.
The dish type and all other ingredients are very important in this case. Therefore, tomato salad or cold soups, such as gazpacho, go well with white, slightly mineral wines, but also with rose wines.
If the dishes are more flavourful and more diverse in combinations, you could opt for red wines, especially Italian red wines.
Stuffed tomatoes, a dish that is closer to our dish, are best served with red wines, especially with the red wines from Southern France.