Any donation helps us keep writing! Support The Healthy Journal!
Stewed cabbage recipe is easy to do, simple and very tasty. I always thought about it as a traditional Romanian dish although variants of stewed cabbage exist in some other countries as well. Therefore, if you were wondering how to cook cabbage, this is one of the tastiest dishes you will ever try.
Stewed cabbage is traditional for Polish, Belarusian, Turkish, Lithuanian and Ukrainian cuisines
An “international” stewed cabbage recipe can include meat, cabbage, bacon, onion, garlic, mushrooms, shredded fresh cabbage or sauerkraut. Yet, the Romanian recipe, my stewed cabbage recipe is a delicious recipe, much simpler and, I assure you, much tastier.
“Autumn cabbage” is very tasty, has a special flavour so you shouldn’t miss the opportunity of cooking this delicious recipe. I don’t claim to be a super master chef yet I had to transform my diet into a healthier way of alimentation and I have been told my recipes are healthier, but also very tasty.
Stewed cabbage – what ingredients do you need and how to cook cabbage for this delicious recipe
5 tomatoes or 100-200 ml homemade tomato juice
50 ml oil (I used olive oil)
!! Like & Follow The Healthy Journal on Facebook and Instagram !!
1. For start, in case you won’t use homemade tomato juice, wash the tomatoes and grate them. Another way would be to unpeel them and finely chop, but grating is much easier. Then, leave them aside, in a bowl.
2. Wash the cabbage, take off the first leaf and wipe it with a clean towel.
3. Make sure the table is clean and you have enough space on it. Place the cabbage on a wooden board, on the table. Start to finely chop the cabbage with a knife or with a special device for that. As you chop, take the shredded cabbage on the table to free the wooden board. Continue until you reach the core.
4. When it is ready, leave the shredded cabbage on the table, sprinkle two teaspoons of salt over it and start to knead it with your hands in order to become juicier. This way, the stewed cabbage recipe will be even tastier.
5. Then, put in a larger pot 50 ml oil, let it heat and then add the tomatoes and tomato juice. Leave 1-2 minutes and then add, little by little, the shredded cabbage. Add a little from it, mix all together, put a little bit more cabbage, mix again with the tomatoes too until you have added all the cabbage.
6. Leave like this a little, without adding water yet, because the food already has that tomato juice and, besides, the cabbage will leave its own water.
7. After 5 minutes, add 2 cups of cold water (100-150 ml), mix them together and let it boil.
8. In the process, it is possible you need 50-100 ml more water. After 20-30 minutes, add salt, pepper and taste the cabbage to see if it is done and if it needs more salt or more pepper.
9. Turn off the heat when the cabbage is done. At the end of the cooking process, the cabbage should have just a little bit of liquid.
Stewed cabbage with polenta and spicy pepper – the perfect combination
Undoubtedly, the best stewed cabbage is the one with polenta and spicy bell pepper. Here you can find the best gluten free polenta recipe and our recipe of spicy green beans is going to be a great alternative for the “classical” chilli.
To give that form to the polenta, flip the polenta on a larger plate, then put in a cup a little bit of polenta (previously, I sprinkled the cup with a drop of olive oil), leave it like that 4-5 minutes and then flip this smaller polenta on the main plate.
Stewed cabbage is a delicious recipe, a simple, yet tasty dish I invite you to try. You won’t regret it and, besides, the next time when you are going to ask yourselves how to cook cabbage you will certainly have at least one great alternative.