Some of the easiest and tastiest meat dishes is this roast lamb recipe. With the right ingredients, you will have a delicious and healthy dish, perfect for special occasions, but also for the times you want a more consistent, meat food.
Lamb meat is rich in B-s vitamins, helps the metabolism and lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases
Try to buy your lamb meat (or whatever type of meat you will use for this dish, but not only) from a “clean source”: free-range lamb, bio fed. Lamb is one of the healthiest food, rich in important minerals and vitamins: it contains a lot of vitamins B (B1, B2, B6, B9, biotin, B5, B12), choline, niacin, selenium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc etc. All these are important for a good health, help the metabolism and could prevent the cardiovascular disease.
Roast lamb – what ingredients do you need
1 leg of lamb
6-7 cloves of garlic
salt, pepper, thyme (dry)
1 small cup of tomato sauce or 2-3 tomatoes, peeled, finely chopped and sautéed in a little bit of olive oil
1. Take a leg of lamb, wash it and place it on a wooden board. Wash and peel the garlic cloves and cut them in half, lengthwise. Do small cuts on the lamb surface, on a side and on the other one and then put into those small cuts the garlic.
2. Then, add salt (2 teaspoons), pepper (1 teaspoon) and dry thyme – on the whole surface of the meat, on a side and another.
3. Place the lamb in a larger pot and then pour over it 1 pot of water (aproximately 500 ml of water), previously warmed. The water has to cover half the lamb, or even a little bit more. Our lamb had a little bit of fat on it so we didn’t have to add oil, but if this is not the case for your piece of meat, you can add here 1 tablespoon of olive oil too.
4. Bake for about 1 hour, 1 hour and a quarter.
5. After 30-35 minutes, wash, peel and cut into rounds or cubes 2 carrots, 1 onion (cut this one just in 4 parts) and 1 potato. Add all these into that sauce in the pot with the roast lamb.
6. After 20 more minutes, try to carrot to see if it is tender. The water should be now at a quarter from the initial quantity. This is the time to add here a small cup of tomato sauce too. Add salt, pepper and leave 5-10 more minutes.
7. Turn off the heat when the vegetables are tender and the roast lamb is golden brown. The roast lamb still has to have sauce in the pot because you will add from it, together with some vegetables, in the plate, too.
8. Serve with cabbage salad and polenta.
The right wine for the roast lamb depends on how young the lamb is and how well done the roast lamb is
In general, lamb stew at the oven goes well with red or rose wines. If the lamb is young, you could choose rose wines or red wines, but not so intense or full-bodied wines. When the roast lamb is very well done, as it is our case, you could pair it with a red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah or Merlot.