Here’s a perfect recipe for the days when you want a simple and tasty food, but without meat. Through the chosen food combinations, this mashed potatoes with mushrooms and tomato sauce recipe goes well with a cabbage salad where you should add a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Mashed potatoes with mushrooms and tomato sauce
White potatoes are better for mashed potatoes, but if you have another type of potatoes those will be fine too. Yet, make sure you have a fresh, high quality mushrooms: they have to be white on the outside, but also on the inside, at the base of the stems. For this dish, we didn’t use the tails, but, if you want, you can use those too, just wash and clean that thin peel.
2 tomatoes/tomato sauce
2-3 cloves of garlic
1. Take 4 big potatoes, peel them, wash and cut into cubes.
2. Put them to boil in a pot with water, to cover them. Let them boil for about 20 minute and afterwards try to see if they are tender (they should be very tender).
3. When they are ready, turn off the heat, drain the water from the pot and keep a small cup, from the last water which is thicker. You might need it afterwards, to make the mashed potatoes softer.
4. Put the pot with the potatoes on a wooden board and start to mash them with a knife or with a special device. Add here salt, to taste, and if necessary, a little bit of that liquid you kept. The liquid will adjust the consistency, will make it softer.
5. When the potatoes are very well crushed, put the pot again on the head (low heat) and start to mix, adding a little bit of oil or butter.
6. When everything is well incorporated, turn off the heat.
7. Meanwhile, take 10 mushrooms, wash them, peel them (without stems) and cut into 4.
8. Heat a little bit of oil and add the mushrooms. Mix several times, add a pinch of salt. Previously you have to be prepared with 2 tomatoes peeled and finely chopped with a small cup of tomato sauce.
9. Put the tomatoes over the mushrooms, and add 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, salt and pepper.
10. Mix and leave until they are very well done. Turn off the heat and add immediately parsley, finely chopped.
11. Serve with cabbage salad. Here you can find the recipe
Mashed potatoes with mushrooms and tomato sauce – as simple, yet versatile dish that suits well both with white wines, and with red wines also
Even if a very simple dish, at least at first glance, through the diverse and tasty flavours of potatoes, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic and herbs, this dish becomes a very versatile one. There are not so many restrictions when it comes to wines: you can enjoy it with a Chardonnay, but a Cabernet Sauvignon also would be a great idea.
Any donation helps us keep writing! Support The Healthy Journal!