If you keep a plant based diet, you are fasting or you just want to have a break from meat dishes, this green beans recipe is the perfect option.
It requires indeed fresh and healthy ingredients so try to buy them from a local producer. Nowadays it is important to support local economy and farmers who have a business in this field.
Green beans are great for heart and gut health, lowering inflammation
If you don’t eat meat, green beans are a great source of proteins and iron. Besides, this food is also high in minerals and vitamins such as calcium, vitamin A, C, B, folate – important substances for a good general health state.
Green beans promote heart health. It is high in fiber and low in sodium and some studies have proved it could lower bad cholesterol and prevent cardiovascular diseases.
Green beans are frequently included in the diets of those who confront with chronic digestive issues. A low glycemic index food, green beans is often times chosen by the ones who keep LOW FODMAD diet.
This diet is very much beneficial for those who confront IBS, acid reflux, gastro intestinal issues, high inflammation due to other illnesses or even endometriosis.
Green beans recipe – what ingredients do you need
For this green beans dish you need:
1 kg green beans (preferably thin green beans)
1 liter water
1 small onion
½ bell pepper
½ carrot – grated
½ carrot – cut into cubes
2 teaspoons of oil
200 ml water
1. Wash the green beans, cut the ends and then cut into halves or leave them like this, as you wish.
2. Put in a pot 1 liter of water. When it reaches the boiling point, add the green beans and let it boil for about 20 minutes.
3. Afterwards, take it out in a large bowl and leave aside.
4. Then, finely chop 1 small onion, cut into cubes ½ bell pepper and ½ of carrot, and grate the other half of carrot.
5. Sauté them in 2 teaspoons of oil.
6. Peel 2 tomatoes, cut them into small slices and add over the other vegetables.
7. Pour over all these 200 ml water (first, warm it in a small pot) , mix a little, and then add here the green beans.
8. Leave 10 more minutes and then add salt, pepper and parsley, finely chopped.
Serve this green beans dish with a gluten free polenta. Here you can find the recipe.
Green Beans Recipe – wine pairings
If you want to pair this dish with a glass of wine, the best pairings would be an American Chardonnay, an Argentinian Malbec, a French Chablis or even a German Riesling.