I don’t eat too many sweets. Since I have decided to have a healthy diet, the easiest was to give up sugar and, even more important, to stay away from sugar afterwards. Yes, it is true; I have my “hard moments” when I eat a cake or a pastry but this happens very rarely, usually in my stressful moments or at special occasions. These come after long periods of time of “clean diet” so they do not affect me much.
How to give up sugar – the 14 days rule
I will write another article about some tips & tricks about how to give up sugar (and why it is important to do that, especially for someone diagnosed with endometriosis), but the most important it seems to me “the 14 days rule”. Once you have decided you want to make a change, for instance, to cut out sugar from your diet completely, just don’t cheat! At the beginning, it is very important not to cheat and to stay clean for at least 14 days.
After this frame of time, the body adjusts, it just “forgets” about sugar (yes, in the meantime you could have different reactions but I will tell you more about them in the next article), but afterwards you will be able to stand in front of a cake shop window and feel…nothing.
**READ ALSO NATURAL REMEDY FOR COUGH - ONION AND WALNUT TEA
Gluten, dairy, sugar free banana bread recipe – what ingredients do you need
There are some “fixed” ingredients and some other optional for this healthy banana bread, so know the “main ones” and choose among the others to make your banana bread recipe even more interesting.
2-3 bananas, mashed
5 tablespoons of coconut flour
2 eggs (optional you can put instead 2 more bananas very ripened or you can choose to substitute eggs with a mixture of chia seeds mixture - for 1 egg whisk 1 tablespoon of ground chia with 3 tablespoon of water)
½ cup peanut butter/almond butter (or other such butter but read the label not to have sugar in it or other “bad ingredients”)
2 drops of vanilla or rum extract (rum will give it a stronger, a bit bitter taste, but still delicious)
1 tablespoon of honey (optional) or stevia extract
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup dried raisins (optional)
1. The first step in this banana bread recipe is to wash the raisins and let them soak in water for at least 30 minutes and also add there a drop of rum/vanilla extract.
2. Mash the 2-3 bananas and place them on a blender or food processor. I don’t have a food processor so I will explain to you how to do this healthy banana bread recipe with just a blender.
3. In this case, it is very important the order of adding the ingredients in the blender.
4. So, first put in the mashed bananas, then the almond butter, the honey or stevia extract, the rum/vanilla extract and the 2 eggs or the chia seed mixture (beaten first)
5. Mix a little and then add the baking powder and, at the end, the coconut flour.
**READ ALSO IRON RICH FOODS - 11 VEGETABLE SOURCES
6. Mix again - this could be a little bit hard as you’ve added the flour, but help yourself afterwards with a wooden spoon, if necessary.
7. In the end, add in the mixture the raisins cleaned and very well drained and mix with a wooden spoon. If you don't add raisins, put more honey and if you put 2 tablespoons of honey, do not add so many raisins.
8. Prepare then the pan for the banana bread: line the pan with the baking paper, add the mixture and then, on top, the chopped nuts.
9. Bake the banana bread for about 25-30 minutes. To see if it is done, take a toothpick and insert it in the bread, till the bottom, and take it off. If the toothpick is clean, the cake is ready.
10. You might want to add the chopped walnuts after 10 minutes you placed the cake in oven as they might burn a little.
Serve this healthy banana bread warm or cold. It is better cold but I cannot help myself not to take a slice 5 minutes after I removed it from the oven.
You can also combine this healthy banana bread with fresh fruits or with a piece of black chocolate.