A special dish I sometimes do are these fish stuffed cabbage rolls, more precisely stuffed with trout meat. Although it might seem a little bit sophisticated or hard to do, you will see below that it is not so. You can prepare this variant of stuffed cabbage rolls very easily , the perfect recipe especially for those who do not eat chicken, turkey or red meat.
Fish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls – opt for trout as this is not an oily fish, suitable for this type of recipe because its texture resembles a lot with chicken meat
The secret of these fish stuffed cabbage rolls is not to choose a fish that is oily or has that strong fish smell. Therefore, don’t use for this recipe salmon or mackerel. On the other hand, trout is the perfect option especially as it resembles a lot with poultry.
Fish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Recipe – what ingredients do you need?
1 cup brown rice
1 small onion or some leaves of green onion
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1. First prepare the brown rice: put on the heat, to boil, 2 cups of water in a pot. When it reaches the boiling point, add 1 cup of brown rice, previously washed in 2-3 waters. Leave the rice to boil until it incorporates all the water and, even if the rice is not completely made, take it off the heat and leave it in a large bowl, to cool.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the 2 trout: wash and clean them, remove the skin and debone them. It will not be too much trout meat, but this is enough for our fish stuffed cabbage rolls recipe. Put the fish meat on a wooden board and finely chop.
3. When the brown rice is cold, mix it with the fish meat.
4. In the same composition, also add 1 small onion finely chopped, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and salt and paper to taste.
5. Then, start the wrapping. Take the cabbage leaves - the sauerkraut leaves - and take one by one and put on each of it 1-2 teaspoons of the above composition. Roll and tighten at the ends, exactly as for the “classical” stuffed cabbage rolls.
6. When they are ready, prepare the pot where they will be cooked: chop some cabbage and put it on the bottom of the pot, add the cabbage rolls next to one another, but not very close.
7. After you put them all in the pot, add 1 small cup of tomato paste or 2-3 tomatoes, unpeeled and finely chopped.
8. Over the cabbage rolls add some other sauerkraut leaves and put on top a small ceramic plate. Heat some water in another pot and then add it here, over the cabbage rolls, to cover them.
9. Put the dish in the oven and be careful as the rolls will consume its water very fast so you have to be prepared with some warm water to add it from time to time, in the pot.
10. Leave in the oven for about 45 minutes.
As you can see, our fish stuffed cabbage rolls recipe is not complicated at all and you can also prepare it, whenever you want a traditional food, reinterpreted into a healthier way.
Any donation helps us keep writing! Support The Healthy Journal!