Any donation helps us keep writing! Support The Healthy Journal!
We have been chosen to eat more salads since we live in Oman. It’s true, it’s easier to prepare fresh, delicious and healthy salads here as we have a lot of exotic and colourful fruits and vegetables at the market. Chickpea salad is one of our top options so here’s my chickpea salad recipe: quick, simple and very tasty.
Chickpea salad – the main ingredient, chickpea, is rich in minerals, vitamins, proteins and fibre
Besides that special, nutty and velvety texture, chickpeas is a very healthy leguminous. Chickpea is a great source of proteins and fibre, but also minerals and vitamins such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, selenium, folate and beta-carotene.
Many vegetarians include chickpea in their daily diet because of the great content of proteins and iron.
!! Like & Follow The Healthy Journal on Facebook and Instagram !!
Chickpea salad – what ingredients do you need?
Below you have the whole list of ingredients, but you should know I sometimes take off or take in some other foods depending on what I have in the house at that moment. Of course, chickpea remains the must have of the recipe as it is the main ingredient.
1 cup of chickpea (200-250 g)
½ cup red beans (I had a can of red beans but you can also use fresh red beans or a jar of red beans)
1 red bell pepper
lemon juice orbio apple cider vinegar
some olives finely chopped
Iron Rich Foods - 11 Vegetarian Sources
1. If you are wondering how to cook chickpea, the answer is very simple: an evening before the day you want to cook this salad, soak the chickpea for about 12 hours.
2. The next day, drain the water, wash the chickpea again and put them to boil in a pot with water to cover (the water has to cover the chickpeas with about 10 cm. Chickpea boil a little bit harder – mine boiled in 1 hour and a half so you need enough water.
3. In case you “miss” the right quantity of water, don’t worry, warm some water in a small pot and then add it in the chickpea pot.
4. I had red beans from a can, but in case you have fresh red beans you should proceed with it the same way I did with the chickpea: soak it overnight and then boil it in an sufficient quantity of water. If, instead, you have red beans, like me, from a can or jar, drain the water from the can/jar, wash the red beans and boil them a little, just for 3-4 minutes.
5. With these two ingredients ready, it’s time to prepare the chickpea salad: wash and cut in cubes the red pepper, cucumbers, tomatoes and green onion. Wash and finely chop the olives and afterwards add also the green salad, finely chopped.
6. Add the chickpea and the red bean, season to taste with salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
My wonderful chickpea salad did not last too long. With this time of online school and with so little things to do outside, it is easy to prepare but also very easy to enjoy this kind of exotic salad. Hope I intrigued you enough and, the next time you are going to ask yourselves how to cook chickpea you are going to choose my chickpea salad.